At a glance
- Drug Name: Metronidazole
- Common names: Flagyl, Metizol, Protostat and Metrogel
- Drug Type: Antibiotic, antiprotozoal
- Used For: Treatment of anaerobic bacterial infections, protozoal infections, and inflammatory bowel disease
- Species: Cats, dogs, humans, ferrets, horses, rabbits, rodents, birds and reptiles
- Administered: Tablet, oral liquid, injection
Flagyl (Metronidazole) is a prescription-only antibiotic and antiprotozoal medication which is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial and protozoal infections in a number of animals including cats, dogs and humans.
Flagyl is a member of the drug classes amebicides and nitroimidazoles. The drug has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) but is commonly prescribed extra-label by veterinarians.