Is mistletoe toxic to cats?

Is Mistletoe Toxic to Cats?

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Last Updated on

Mistletoe is a group of hemiparasitic plants that live on trees with a worldwide distribution. It is popular at Christmas due to its association with kissing under the mistletoe.

It is important for cat owners to be aware of the dangers of bringing flowers and plants into homes with cats and the possible dangers.

  • Name: American or European Mistletoe
  • Scientific names: Phoradendron flavescens, Phoradendron serotinum and Viscum album
  • Toxic compounds: Toxalbumin, pharatoxin viscumin (Lectins, Phoratoxins), alkaloid tyramine

Toxicity

Mild to moderate.

All parts of the plant can be toxic, though the berries are the most dangerous.

Symptoms of mistletoe poisoning in cats

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Drop in blood pressure (hypotension)
  • Slow heart rate (bradycardia)

Treatment

If ingestion was recent, gastric decontamination (removal of the toxin from the gastrointestinal tract by inducing vomiting or pumping the stomach).

In addition, supportive and symptomatic care which may include fluids to prevent or treat dehydration and anti-nausea medication.

What other Christmas plants are toxic and non-toxic to cats?

  • Holly – Toxic
  • Poinsettia – Mildly toxic
  • Ivy – Toxic
  • Christmas trees – Fir and spruce; non-toxic, pine; toxic
  • Jerusalem cherry – Toxic
  • Amaryllis – Toxic
  • Lilies (Lilium and Hemerocallis) – Highly toxic
  • Christmas cactus – Non-toxic

Prevention

Keep plants and flowers which are toxic to cats out of the home, especially if your cat is prone to nibbling plants.



Julia Wilson is a cat expert with over 20 years of experience writing about a wide range of cat topics, with a special interest in cat health, welfare and preventative care.Julia lives in Sydney with her family, four cats and two dogs. She enjoys photography, gardening and running in her spare time.Full author bio Contact Julia