Is coleus toxic to cats?
Coleus is toxic to cats. The toxic principles are volatile essential oils and an irritant sap.
What is coleus?
- Family: Lamiaceae
- Scientific name: Solenostemon scutellarioides
- Variety: syn. Plectranthus scutellarioides
- Common names: Painted nettle, Flame nettle, Coleus, Indian borage, Bread and butter plant, Indian thyme, Country borage, East Indian thyme, Spanish thyme, Stinging thyme
- Toxic parts: All parts of the plant are toxic to cats
- Toxicity: Mild to moderate
- Toxic principle: Volatile essential oils (coleon O and diterpene coleonol) and irritant sap
Coleus is an annual or perennial shrub in the mint family and native to Southeast Asia and Africa consisting of 60 species.