Lily poisoning in cats

Lily Poisoning In Cats


Symptoms    Diagnosis    Treatment    Prevention


Lily poisoning at a glance

About: Lilies are a popular flower in bouquets but are deadly to cats. Ingestion causes acute kidney failure. All parts of the plant are toxic.

Symptoms: Early symptoms include increased thirst and urination, vomiting, drooling, loss of appetite. Later symptoms include absent urination, abdominal pain, bad breath, and weakness.

Treatment: Early intervention is vital before irreversible damage to the kidneys occurs. Gastric decontamination, intravenous fluid therapy and if kidney failure has developed, peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis may be necessary.

Prognosis: Good for cats who receive treatment before kidney damage occurs.

Lilies are popular in floral arrangements, but while we may admire their beauty, they are deadly to cats. Cat owners need to be aware that having these flowers in your home can prove fatal. Lilies are a nephrotoxin, which are toxins affecting the kidneys, causing acute kidney failure due to the death of the renal epithelial cells.

Although any cat is at risk, indoor cats and kittens are particularly vulnerable. The exact toxin isn’t known, but what is understood is that it is water-soluble and ingestion leads to the death of the renal tubular epithelial cells through a mechanism which isn’t yet understood.

If you suspect your cat has eaten any, immediate veterinary attention is vital.

Which parts are toxic?

All parts of the plant are poisonous including the leaf, stamen, pollen, flowers, and roots with only a tiny amount (less than one leaf) and even water from a vase the lilies have been in is enough to poison a cat.

Lily poisoning in cats

Lilies of the genera Lilium and Hemerocallis are toxic to cats. Below are images of some common toxic lilies to make identification easier.

Common species include:

Lilies toxic to cats


There are two stages of lily poisoning in the cat; the first stage occurs due to gastrointestinal upset. Symptoms occur 30 minutes to 2 hours after ingestion and include:

  • Vomiting, you may notice pieces of the ingested plant in the vomit
  • Depression
  • Drooling
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Increased urination which can lead to dehydration

Vomiting usually subsides a few hours after exposure, although anorexia and depression typically remain. Within 72 hours, acute kidney failure occurs, symptoms include:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Bad breath
  • Once the kidneys have become damaged, urination will be absent
  • Increased or decreased thirst
  • Weakness
  • Seizures

If urination decreases, hyperkalemia (high blood potassium) can develop as it is the kidney’s role to remove excess potassium from the blood via the urine. Symptoms of hyperkalemia include:

  • Cardiac arrhythmias
  • Twitching
  • Muscle weakness


There are no specific tests available to diagnose lily poisoning. Your veterinarian will perform a physical examination of your cat, which may reveal painful and enlarged kidneys. He will need to run several tests to determine the condition of the kidneys; these will include:

  • Biochemical profile – Which may reveal elevated blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine, both of which are indicative of kidney failure. 
  • Urinalysis – A sample of urine can provide additional information on the extent of kidney damage and urine-concentrating ability
  • Kidney ultrasound – This enables the veterinarian to evaluate the size of the kidneys
  • Kidney biopsy – A small sample is taken from the kidney to evaluate the cells


Prompt medical treatment is vital; the sooner your cat sees a vet, the better his chances of recovery. Even with veterinary attention, there is no guarantee that your cat will survive, but the chances greatly decrease if treatment doesn’t commence within 6 hours of exposure. Cats who do not receive treatment within 18 hours of ingestion generally do not survive.

There is no antidote for lily poisoning. Treatment is aimed at removing any remaining plant material and preventing further absorption and fluid therapy.

  • Gastrointestinal tract decontamination by inducing vomiting and giving binders. This must be performed within 1-2 hours of ingestion.
  • Administer activated charcoal to prevent further absorption of the toxin in the stomach.
  • Intravenous fluid therapy to maintain urine production is the mainstay of treatment, which will continue for 48-72 hours. The purpose of fluid diuresis to maintain urine production to speed up the removal of toxins in the blood (known as uremic poisoning) as well as treating dehydration.

Kidney failure:

Once the kidneys have stopped working, dialysis is necessary to remove toxins from the blood. There are two types of dialysis.

  • Peritoneal dialysis is carried out by placing a tube (catheter) into the peritoneal cavity and using the peritoneal membrane as a filter. Dialysis solution enters the peritoneal cavity via the catheter, excess fluids and waste products from the blood pass through the peritoneal membrane and into the dialysis solution. After some time, the solution is drained out of the peritoneal cavity.
  • Hemodialysis uses a dialysis machine which performs the functions of the kidney. Blood is passed out of the cat’s body and into the dialysis machine where it is cleaned and then goes back into the body.

Supportive care:

  • Anti-nausea medication for cats who are vomiting.
  • Blood pressure monitoring.
  • Urine output monitoring.

Prognosis is good for cats who receive treatment before anuria (absent urination) has occurred, but it is poor once the kidneys stop producing urine.

Avoiding lily poisoning in cats

Cat owners need to be aware of the dangers of keeping lilies in their house and garden and avoid having these extremely dangerous plants around cats.

When ordering flowers for friends or relatives, make sure they do not contain lilies of the genera Lilium and Hemerocallis if a cat is living in the household.